You don’t know how much time you spend looking for a kitchen knife in the drying rack or worse, the drawer, until you get yourself a real, proper storage solution like a magnetic holder.
While there are many options for storing kitchen knives, magnetic holders shine among all the others. They keep blades visible, well-organized, and in good condition. They are also easy to clean, which is a clear advantage for this generation’s lifestyle with little time to spend on domestic chores (or is it just me?)
The most common type of magnetic holder is the magnetic strip, which we’ll be addressing in this article. If you’re not convinced yet, keep reading!
1. What Is A Magnetic Knife Strip
A magnetic knife strip, sometimes referred to as a magnetic knife rack, is a storage solution that uses magnets to hold kitchen knives in place on the wall. The name says it all: they are usually long and rectangular (strip) and they are designed to be mounted on the wall.
They can come in stainless steel, plastic and wood. Stainless steel magnetic bars are popular because they are corrosion-resistant, easy to clean and elegant. Wooden magnetic knife racks look different, more rustic and cozy. Plastic magnetic bars are lightweight and offer a fairly durable lifespan.
The most commonly used magnet in magnetic knife strips is neodymium. This is a powerful magnet that creates a super strong magnetic field. Ferret is another great alternative, very strong and relatively affordable for knife storage.
Read about how to hang knives on the wall, here.
2. The Advantages Of A Magnetic Knife Strip
- By being wall-mountable, it saves a lot of counter space.
- Installing a magnetic knife bar requires little planning and very basic tools. You even have adhesive magnetic knife holders with no installation required whatsoever.
- Knives are visible and easily accessible, which can make the cooking process easier and more pleasant.
- Magnetic strips have no slots, holes, or notches where food and germs can accumulate, making them hygienic and easy to clean.
- By not being in contact with other knives or utensils, knife edges do not wear or damage.
- They are safe. Just remember to choose a wall that is out of reach of children and pets. Also, knives should be placed with the tip facing down to avoid accidents.
3. Qualities Of A Great Magnetic Knife Strip
When buying a magnetic knife strip, you should consider several qualities:
High magnetic strength
A good magnetic knife strip should have a magnet that is powerful enough to securely hold even knives (including heavy knives), preventing them from slipping or falling.
The material should be of high quality, such as stainless steel or hardwood. The material is what will determine if the holder is resistant to rust and durable.
How many knives are you planning on “hanging”? In theory, the magnetic strip should be long enough to accommodate your needs, and not longer. Ideally, it should even be able to store other metal utensils, such as scissors and tongs.
Easy to install
It should make your life easier, not harder! It should also include all the mounting hardware and instructions needed to attach it to the wall.
Your magnetic knife strip will most likely be on public display, so you should like the way it looks. Look for a strip that complements your kitchen decor and fits the space gracefully.
Easy to clean and easy to maintain
Of course, you want to ensure hygiene and avoid bacteria accumulation. Some magnetic knife strips are easily cleaned with a damp cloth.
Look for a magnetic strip that holds knives securely and has no sharp edges or dangerous corners that can cause injuries or accidents. The best magnetic knife strip is always designed with safety in mind.
So, in general, the checklist for a good magnetic knife strip includes: strength, durability, safety, versatility, looks and convenience. By keeping these qualities in mind, you can’t go wrong!
4. Must-Have Dalstrong Magnetic Knife Strips
A magnetic knife strip is an excellent choice for those who want a stylish, practical, and safe solution for storing their knives in the kitchen. Here are a few magnetic knife holder options from Dalstrong.
Safe, convenient and elegant. The sleek, modern design with a satin finish, stamped with Dalstrong’s lion, is the perfect backdrop for your favorite knives. No more cluttered drawers or cumbersome knife blocks on the kitchen counter!
- High-quality stainless steel, durable and stain-resistant.
- Extraordinary magnetic strength thanks to powerful ferrite magnets.
- The dimensions are wide enough to provide ample storage capacity.
- Easy to clean.
- Beautiful look with a minimalist design that complements any kitchen style.
- If knives are not placed carefully, they can scratch the stainless steel of the magnetic strip, which can affect its long-term appearance.
- The price of this magnetic knife strip may be higher than other knife storage options, which may be a consideration for some buyers.
This modern knife holder features a stainless steel body coated with slip-resistant, scratch-resistant silicone, providing additional protection and storage. The combination of matte black silicone and satin-finished steel on the base is my favorite feature, but if you need more:
- Powerful ferrite magnets keep all knives in place.
- The soft silicone coating acts as a cushion and allows your knives to adhere without damaging the blades.
- The silicone's exceptional qualities make it impermeable to heat and water.
- Compatible with all types of kitchen knives, from chefs knives to filleting knives.
- Installation accessories included.
- Silicone is stain-resistant and does not discolor over time.
- Silicone may require more frequent cleaning as it can accumulate dust.
- Only suitable for certain types of knives, such as stainless steel knives, as ceramic knives do not adhere to magnets.
This beautiful Dalstrong magnetic holder, made of North American walnut wood, adds a touch of style and sophistication to any kitchen. With powerful magnets and durable construction, this strip is the perfect way to organize your knives while saving counter space.
- It is made of walnut wood that protects the knife blade (a unique quality of wood).
- Sturdy aluminum alloy frame.
- Solid and high-quality construction.
- Easy to clean by just wiping it with a damp cloth.
- The walnut wood surface is very resistant to deformation.
- Regular maintenance is required to maintain the walnut’s delightful looks and prevent discoloration.
- The cost may be higher compared to other storage methods on the market, such as a knife block.
If, after reading our recommendations, you decide you have too many knives for a magnetic knife strip, don’t worry, Dalstrong still has you covered with their Spiral Magnetic Knife Block.
This innovative solution is versatile and a pleasure to look at. The elegant spiral design with ascending columns adds style to any kitchen. Each column features extra-strong magnets on both sides to securely hold up to 12 knives in place.
- It doesn't require any installation
- The wood grain, combined with the spiral design, is especially striking and unique.
- The design is incredibly practical and allows for double the storage capacity of a traditional knife block.
- This is a universal knife holder. The different-sized columns accommodate various types of knives.
- The blades are not exposed to bacteria.
- It can be purchased on its own or as part of the 6 Piece Knife Set 'Dragon Spire' from the Phantom Series.
- The price is a bit high compared to other knife storage options, like the magnetic strips mentioned above.
- Some more demanding chefs may prefer a rotating mechanism.
5. Frequently Asked Questions About Magnetic Knife Strips
What other kitchen tools can be stored in a magnetic knife strip?
You can also store kitchen tools and utensils such as shears, whisks, pizza cutters, spatulas, and ladles.
A magnetic strip is better than a magnetic block?
They both offer different advantages. Magnetic knife strips can save a lot of space on the kitchen counter and drawers. Knife blocks protect the blades from dust and moisture. At the end of the day, it all comes down to your personal preferences and your kitchen needs.
Do magnetic strips hurt knives?
The actual magnets in magnetic strips do not damage knives. It’s more likely that a blade will be bent or dull in the drawer. However, if the magnet is low-quality or too weak, the knife could fall off, which is definitely a threat to the blade.
Can you store any kitchen knife on a magnetic knife strip?
Yes, you can store every kitchen knife in your knife set, like chefs knives, paring knives or serrated knives; with only one exception: ceramic knives will not stick to a magnetic holder.