Cooking Apron : Your Culinary Armor
Top aprons for cooking for you:
- Dalstrong Professional Chef's Kitchen Apron - American Legend
- Dalstrong Professional Chef's Kitchen Apron - Sous Team 6"
- Dalstrong Professional Chef's Kitchen Apron - The Kitchen Rambo
- Dalstrong Professional Chef’s Kitchen Apron - The Gandalf
- Dalstrong Professional Chef’s Kitchen Apron - The Culinary Commander
- Why Do You Need a Good Cooking Apron?
- Types Of Cooking Aprons
- What to Look For In a Cooking Apron
- The Downside Of Owning Cheap Cooking Aprons
- Top Cooking Apron Picks For You
- Frequently Asked Questions
A cooking apron is one of the most underestimated cooking tools that has ever existed. A good quality cooking apron is just as essential as any other piece of equipment in your kitchen. Technically speaking, an apron's job is simply to protect the cook and his clothes from heat, splatters, fire, and sparks, but in my opinion, it is so much more than that.
1. Why Do You Need a Good Apron For Cooking?
A good cooking apron should not only protect you but should act as your culinary armor. It should not only keep splatters and stains away from your clothes, but it should also help with your cooking tasks, make the process easier and most importantly look good when you put it on. Wearing an apron when you’re cooking in your kitchen, grilling in the backyard, or baking some treats, you want to feel like you belong and the fact that you’re in charge. That is exactly what putting on a good apron feels like.
I know some home chefs might not agree and say that buying an apron is a waste of their money, but trust me, the moment you have one on, you’ll feel like the true culinary master that you are. Working in the kitchen should be a relaxing and pleasurable chore and wearing a great apron can add to that feeling. Whether you’re a home cook or a professional chef, getting into a well-made apron really puts you in a certain mindset, making it easier to communicate your role to those around you.
Read on to know why I’m such a big fan of this kitchen essential.
2. Types Of Cooking Aprons
This is the most popular type of cooking apron. Also known as the chef’s apron, the bib comes with pockets, ample torso coverage, a loop around the neck, and straps around the waist.
The pockets come in handy when you need to carry kitchen utensils, guest checks, or order pads when you work. This apron is preferred due to its full-body coverage, which proctors the cook from splashes, plus you can also use this long apron to wipe your hands.
As the name suggests, this apron is tied around the waist. It does not provide full-body coverage but it tends to reach just above the know, allowing natural leg movement. This is also known as the half apron.
This is normally worn by servers as the pockets in the front allow them to store their notepads and guest bills and the short length of the apron permits easy movement.
This is a waist apron with four layers. Four-way aprons are ideal for those who work in the hospitality business or people whose work demands that they require the use of an apron several times before it’s washed.
These essential aprons are designed in such a way that when one layer gets dirty, you can switch to the next clean layer quickly. This becomes a very cost-friendly choice for an essential apron, especially for chefs and kitchen staff.
These types of aprons do not cover one’s upper body. This style of aprons is ideal for head waitresses or waiters, bussers, and servers as the short length allows them to walk throughout the facility comfortably. Server aprons also come with side pockets that can be used to carry straws, pens, and even small notebooks.
3. What to Look For In a Cooking Apron
If you think that you can buy any apron and it won’t make a difference, you’re wrong. Aprons do the job of shielding the cook and their clothes from kitchen messes while acting as an extra set of hands that can help hold things.
Here are a few things you should keep in mind when looking for an apron to fit your cooking needs:
Pick the material
If you are new to cooking, you may not know this, but any seasoned home cook or professional chef will always give priority to the fabric that the apron is made of. This is because the material plays a huge role in comfortability.
Sometimes, heavy fabrics can get uncomfortable and weigh you down while pulling on your neck. While don’t need to settle for something as unreliable as a paper towel bib or a piece of cloth, you do need to make sure that the material you pick can help block spills from soaking through your clothes.
Personally, I use denim or something similar to that, and Dalstrong’s denim kitchen apron does a wonderful job. Materials like denim easily soak up gravy and curry splatters or anything else that could get to your clothes. Even leather and poly-cotton makes good apron materials.
Design, style, and shape
When looking to invest in an apron, try and get one that would be practical, functional, and not complicated. The most common shapes and styles of aprons are bibs, half aprons or waist aprons, and the full coverage smock aprons. While these might do the job, they can get difficult to breathe in.
I recommend getting an apron that has a mid to high rang neckline. Not only will this prevent splatter and give you good coverage, but it will also allow for breathability in the kitchen heat.
If you are someone who cooks regularly or a professional chef, then you can consider going for an apron with pockets. This can help you hold your thermometer, chef’s towel, and even utensils. Think about where you would like things to be for easy access and then decide on how useful the additional pockets would be for you.
And lastly, the style. This depends person to person. I prefer using one with an adjustable lacking back or a twist tie wrap as it feels more comfortable and doesn’t open up as quickly as a regular apron string.
Right now, you might not think this is something to consider when looking for an apron, but trust me, you will thank me later. The thing is, you can always get a cheap apron off of Amazon or a local grocery store, but how long do you think the craftsmanship will hold up?
While it can do the job, it will be temporary, For a long-term solution, look for an apron from a brand like Dalstrong where you can trust that the apron you pick will come with solid needlework, practical design, and let’s not forget maximum comfort.
Cooking can be a beautiful mess sometimes. Things spill, stains happen, that’s just how it works. For that reason ensuring your apron is clean and sanitary for every meal is just as important as washing your plates, pans, and other cookware.
You should make sure that whatever apron you pick does not only withstand the mess in the kitchen but can also withstand the wash. An apron that is easy to clean is the best thing to invest in for your cooking haven.
This can be a deal-breaker for someone who does not fit into the norm of small, medium, or large. For a lot of people, a one-size-fits-all type of apron just does not work which is why it becomes very important to look for an apron that you can lift up and down.
4. The Downside Of Owning Cheap Cooking Aprons
While anything will catch fire if it catches flames, the point is to make sure your apron is made of a material that can withstand that and prevent the ignition or spread of fire. However, some cheap aprons come with synthetic fibers like acrylic or 100% cotton aprons, which is not very safe.
It is always better to pick a material that is not only stain-resistant but is also a poor conductor of heat. Try to stay away from linen aprons and 100% cotton aprons.
High chance of poor fitting
With poor quality aprons, sometimes you might find that the fit is not working. Either the neck loop is too small or the back straps are too short. Poorly fitted aprons don’t do such a good job of protecting you and your clothes from splatters and other kitchen messes.
A 10 dollar apron might work in your kitchen for a while, but after a few washes, it will become a rag. You will find that either the fabric would start to disintegrate, the needlework coming out or in some cases, the apron even shrinks after the first wash.
Cheap aprons are not only unsafe, they are not durable, which means, but you would also have to keep changing the apron every few months.
Most of the time, cheap aprons are not stain-resistant, making it look like a filthy piece of cloth after a few washes. To make sure your aprons last a long time with minimal maintenance, I highly recommend investing in a proper apron one time, rather than spending money every few months on the same thing.
5. Top Cooking Apron Picks For You
I have been experimenting with food in the kitchen for a while now and in all these years of cooking, one company whose aprons stood out for me was Dalstrong. Not only were those aprons more stylish, but their functional design and utility caught my attention.
So, if you’re all set to buy your new apron, here is a list that might help you make a decision:
1. Dalstrong Professional Chef's Kitchen Apron - American Legend
Looking for an apron that screams “I know my way in the kitchen”? This is the perfect pick for you. This highly functional apron is super lightweight and is built to last, feel good and be your trusted partner while you work in the kitchen all day.
This essential apron is equipped with three easy-access front pockets that provide ample storage to house anything you need arms to reach. The pockets are designed to hold sharpies and pens, note pads, labels, thermometers, or other small utility tools.
My favorite part about this apron is the fact that it comes with one hidden interior stash pocket that is the perfect place to store my personal belongings like a cell phone, wallet, business cards, or any other kitchen secret you might hold.
- You know this apron is built to last because it is made of 100% blue denim.
- The apron features an adjustable neck strap, easy-tie waist, genuine leather neck accent, 3 front pockets, and one stash pocket. So I guess you can say it comes with ample storage space.
- This is a great apron for someone new to the kitchen as it is fairly priced and simply designed.
- It comes with a water repellent coating that makes this a very low-maintenance apron.
- The classic style of this apron makes it very simple to use and store.
- An all-denim look might get too bold and not be the preferred style for everyone.
- If you are a professional chef, you might want to go for an apron that comes with more pockets and room for storage.
2. Dalstrong Professional Chef's Kitchen Apron - Sous Team 6"
If you are looking for an apron that will make you appear stylish, confident, and efficient in the kitchen, this is the apron for you. Not only do these aprons come with a ton of storage space but also with a water repellent coating, making sure that this apron outlasts you and your sous-team in the heat of the kitchen.
This apron is handcrafted with Ultra-Premium materials and it's designed to keep you in mind. This medium-duty, lightweight, and jet black unisex apron are built to function smoothly in your super busy kitchen space.
- The apron comes with two chest pockets to conveniently store your marker pen, phone, or notepad, two generously sized outer front pockets, a kangaroo pocket, and towel, and tong loops.
- The genuine-leather adjustable cross-back harness will save your neck by evenly distributing weight across your shoulders. This will prevent neck strain, allowing you to work for longer hours, comfortably.
- Who doesn’t love a classic all-black apron? This style particularly looks really sharp on the chef who puts it on.
- The extra-strength waxed canvas that makes this apron the star of the kitchen is waterproof, dirt-resistant, and comfortable.
- This apron is a pricey one compared to the others that are available.
- If you’re a new chef or you don’t cook as often, the storage space of this apron can be a waste.
3. Dalstrong Professional Grade Chef Apron - The Kitchen Rambo
For those looking for a combination of style and comfort, this apron will check all the boxes. This apron is built for anyone looking for a light and comfortable fit. Crafted to withstand culinary warfare, this low-maintenance apron comes with water-resistant properties, making it essential for any kitchen space.
The Kitchen Rambo is made with breathable poly-cotton, designed to allow you to move as freely as possible while doing your thing in the kitchen. The pattern also makes a great grilling apron for Veteran's Day!
- This essential apron features an adjustable neck strap, easy-tie waist, 3 front pockets, and 1 stash pocket.
- The poly-cotton used to make this makes the apron far more breathable and lightweight.
- Not only is this apron stylish and functional, but is also nicely priced, perfect for any home cook looking to invest in a new kitchen apron.
- The camouflage print might not be for everyone.
- While this is super comfortable to wear, if you are working for long hours, you might want to go for cross-back style as it provides better support.
- If you are a professional chef, you would want to pick an apron that has some more storage space.
4. Dalstrong Professional Chef’s Kitchen Apron - The Gandalf
The lightweight denim fabric, clean and crisp stripe accents and water repellent coating makes this a fantastic choice for an apron. This apron is made with super durable materials with a water repellent coating, which makes it a good tool to keep around in the kitchen.
- The apron is built to last, feel good and work with you tirelessly all day in the kitchen heat.
- It features an adjustable neck strap, easy-tie waist, leather neck accent, 3 front pockets, and one stash pocket.
- This sharp-looking light grey denim apron is also resistant to intense stains.
- There is no doubt that denim makes a great material for kitchen aprons, but it is not as heat resistant as leather.
- If you are a professional chef, you would like to go for a leather apron or one with more pockets for storage.
5. Dalstrong Professional Grade Chef Apron - The Culinary Commander
The sleek black unisex leather and brown leather lining of this apron turns up the style quotient and takes it to a whole new level. Just putting on this leather apron on demands respect. If you want something for high-end functionality and show everyone who’s in charge of the kitchen, this is the apron for you.
This apron is built for the roughest and toughest culinary environments but it is designed to feel good and comfortable while it works alongside you all day, every day. Due to its ruggedness, it makes the perfect grilling apron.
- First things first, this leather apron looks so good and I’m sure anyone who’s wearing it would automatically feel good.
- Its adjustable cross-back bib-style makes sure that you’re comfortable while working for long hours in the kitchen.
- The top-grain Brazilian leather used to build this apron makes sure that you are protected from any sparks or extra heat.
- This professional grade chef apron is not designed for someone who has just started their culinary career.
- The leather apron is highly-priced in comparison to the others that we saw.
6. Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cooking apron for?
Cooking aprons are essentially used in restaurants and kitchens. The main purpose is to keep you from getting spills and stains on your clothes. One should also use an apron to prevent the inner clothes from dust, dirt, spills, and debris during cooking, serving, cleaning, or performing creative tasks.
Should you wear an apron while cooking?
Yes, one should wear an apron while cooking. This is because aprons prevent your clothes from coming in content with the food, hence any germs, dust, hair, etc. stay within the apron and off your plate. Aprons also protect your clothes from excessive heat and sparks in the kitchen.
What aprons do chefs use?
A bib apron is ideal for bakers, chefs, and home cooks as it provides coverage from splattering pans, clouds of flour, and water when cooking and cleaning up. A bib apron is one of the most common types to find in different styles, sizes, and colors owing to its popularity.
Which apron is best for the kitchen?
Most home and professional chefs would choose a full-length bib apron. That is because no matter what you throw at them, chef aprons are hard-wearing, low maintenance for daily use, and wonderful at keeping chef whites clean and white. They are knee-length to protect against spatter when preparing raw meat, ensure your uniform starts clean.
Check Out Dalstrong Aprons Today
Written by Himani Vaid
Toronto-based food nerd turned food storyteller, Himani is a connoisseur of all things delish. Currently, busy thinking about what to eat next.