Best Knife Rolls
- Nomad Knife Roll - 12oz Heavy Duty Canvas & Leather
- Dalstrong Ballistic Series Premium Knife Roll
- Vagabond Knife Roll - Top Grain Leather
- Vagabond Knife Roll - Full Grain Leather
- Why you need a knife roll
- Best Knife Rolls
- What should I look for in a knife roll?
- How do you make a knife roll?
- What do chefs keep in their knife rolls?
1. Why You Need A Knife Roll
Vagabond Knife Roll - Top Grain Leather - Midnight Black
It might sound super obvious but how you store your knives actually makes a big difference. While some people store their knives in drawers, or even worse, on the counter, this can not only be extremely dangerous (especially if you have kids) but also lead to premature dulling, greatly affecting the lifespan and sharpness of your knives. To put it plainly - if you were a golfer, would you store your valuable clubs in a drawer, or leave them out in the open? The answer is no.
There are many knife storage solutions out there but not all of them are as cool-looking and convenient as the knife roll, also known as a knife bag. Consisting of a piece of leather or fabric, each knife roll has a specific number of slots that securely hold your knives in place to prevent them from bumping against each other.
Sure, a knife block might do the job but some of them are aesthetically unpleasant and they might end up taking a lot of much-needed counter space. The same could be said about the knife case. On the other hand, a knife bag can be safely tucked away in your kitchen, optimizing space and keeping your knives safe from the yeast, mold, and bacteria that can usually grow inside a knife block if not cleaned properly.
If you’re a professional chef or culinary student that needs to travel regularly, or if you simply like to take your culinary tools with you wherever you go, owning a high-quality knife bag or knife case is a must.
Last but not least, a stylish knife roll can be a fashion statement in itself. Coming in various sizes, materials, and colors, the knife roll can speak volumes about a chef’s fashion sense.
If you’re an insider in the culinary world, you’ve probably heard a thing or two about the classic knife luggage brands - Wusthof, Shun, Messermeister, etc. - so we won’t waste any of your time talking about what you already know. Instead, we’d like to introduce you to some of Dalstrong’s finest knife bags, specially designed to preserve the integrity of your treasured knife collection in the most fashionable way.
But which knife roll is the best for you? And what do you need to know before purchasing your first knife roll? With all of those questions in mind, we’ve crafted this nifty guide to help you pick a quality knife roll that will preserve your knives and make your life easier in the kitchen.
2. Best Knife Rolls
1. Nomad Knife Roll XL - 12oz Heavy Duty Hard Waxed Canvas
The Dalstrong Nomad Series is constructed of 12oz heavy duty hard waxed canvas, and features ultra-premium 100% genuine and top-grain Brazilian leather straps and accents. Meant to blemish and wear overtime as you use and abuse it creating a unique character, this knife roll is a timeless piece you can carry with pride.
Thoughtfully designed and hand crafted using extra thick buckles, intricate stitching and ornate fasteners and zippers, this knife roll is inspired by the love you have for your most beloved knives and tools.
- 100% Premium & Genuine Top-Grain Brazilian Leather Accents.
- Has 10 Versatile Knife Pockets for an wide range of knives.
- 3 Interior Utility Pockets for Pens, Thermometer, Tweezers, etc.
- Since this is a XL knife roll, if you only have a few knives in your collection, this knife roll may be overkill for your needs.
- Only comes in one color at the moment.
2. Nomad Knife Roll - 12oz Heavy Duty Canvas & Leather
Built from ultra-premium 100% genuine and top-grain Brazilian leather and 12oz heavy duty hard waxed canvas, the Nomad Knife Roll will be a powerful ally for keeping your knives safe and transporting them in the most secure manner.
Featuring extra thick buckles and ornate fasteners and zippers, this sturdy yet cool-looking knife roll has 10 interior knife pockets that can store knives up to 15” in length and plenty of interior pockets to house your recipe notebooks, pens, and other small utensils.
- Sturdy and fashionable.
- Comes in six different colors: Dalstrong Blue, Army Green, Smoke Grey, Crimson Red, Nightmaster (Black), and Desert Drifter (Brown).
- Adjustable shoulder strap.
- Despite its cool looks, some chefs will prefer an all-leather knife roll.
- Unlike other knife rolls on this list, this one has less interior pockets.
- Canvas can require a bit more maintenance than leather.
2. Dalstrong Ballistic Series Premium Knife Roll
Made from 100% nylon fabric and premium leather accents, this excellent knife bag is the perfect vessel for taking your knives on hunting and fishing trips. Lightweight, fast-drying, and resistant to liquids, the Ballistic is tough on the outside and soft on the inside, providing a safe environment to store and transport your knives.
The 3 large interior pockets are lined with extra durable polyester mesh and are perfect for carrying both small items like tasting spoons and disposable gloves, and larger ones such as a grater or a whetstone. Without a doubt, this is an ideal companion to take on your outdoors adventures. And what’s more: it comes in a wide array of color options, including Dark Camo, Graphite Black, and Camouflage.
- 22 interior pockets accommodate knives up to 15” in length and wrap perfectly around the knife handles.
- Knife pockets come with an adjustable velcro fastener for maximum protection.
- Alternating knife pockets ensure perfect weight distribution.
- More fashionable chefs might consider it too rugged, opting for an all-leather knife roll.
- The color options are pretty limited.
- Nylon is generally not as durable as leather.
And now, the belle of the ball. Any seasoned chef that takes pride in their knife collection should own one of these fine pieces of engineering. Handcrafted with 100% top grain Brazilian leather, it is the epitome of a stylish knife bag.
Featuring reinforced leather, extra thick buckles, and intricate stitching, this beauty was conceived to endure the travelling chef’s busy schedule, keeping your knives protected at all costs. With 14 standard pockets and 2 more to store your longest blades, you can now sleep tight knowing that your valuable knife collection is stored and put away safely in this stunning piece of craftsmanship.
- Durable, tear resistant, and puncture resistant.
- Dalstrong’s iconic lion insignia beautifully engraved on a luxurious brass badge on the front of the knife roll.
- 14 double stitched knife pockets for blades up to 15” in length, and 2 extra-large ones for knives up to 20”.
- The price point might be a little high for some amateur chefs.
- While highly durable, leather can rot if not maintained properly.
- Home cooks who don’t travel that much might not find that much use for it.
4. Vagabond Knife Roll - Full Grain Leather
We end this list with another iteration of the stunning Vagabond Knife Roll. Constructed with premium Brazilian full grain leather, this tough knife roll bag is pretty much all you’ll ever need to take on your culinary trips.
With the capacity to store 16 knives up to 20” in length, the Vagabond will not only safeguard your treasured chef knives but also make you look cool in front of your fellow chefs. Boasting ornate fasteners, oversized zippers, and internal protective leather flaps, this outstanding piece of luggage is ready to go the distance.
- Thick, extra strength, military grade buckles.
- Quick-access rear pocket for small items and personal belongings.
- Full grain Brazilian leather absorbs any possible impact, keeping you knives safe and sound during commutes.
- The price point might drive some home chefs away.
- Leather doesn’t need that much maintenance but it’ll rot if not taken care of.
- Owning this A-grade knife bag might be a bit of overkill if you’re a home chef.
3. What Should I Look For In A Knife Roll?
Vagabond Knife Roll - Full Grain Leather
When it comes to picking a chef’s knife roll, there are various factors to be taken into account but the main ones are:
SIZE AND CAPACITY
In terms of size, always look for extra space. Not just for your knife collection but also for other culinary tools. Even if your knife collection is not that large, it’s always good to have the extra room for future additions. Also, make sure the knife bag is big enough to house knives with longer blades. This is usually included in the specs, so a quick check will suffice.
Knife rolls come in a wide assortment of materials but the most common are usually canvas and leather.
Canvas is a very popular material because of its durability and waterproof qualities. Polyester canvas is the standard on the market but waxed canvas is becoming more and more trendy among environmentally conscious chefs. Waxed canvas is made from cotton and is treated with either paraffin or beeswax before weaving.
Leather can be either full grain or top grain. Full grain is the highest quality leather you can get and it preserves all of the natural grain from the original cowhide. Top grain is thinner and more pliable since the process involves removing the top layer of the raw leather piece. Apart from being an excellent choice of material for a chefs knife roll bag, they both develop a protective layer called patina, which gives it a unique and distinct look.
We strongly recommend leather since it’s sturdier and will generally last longer than other materials.
4. How Do You Make A Knife Roll?
Vagabond Knife Roll - Top Grain Leather - Midnight Black
All knife rolls are constructed from either leather of some type of fabric. The process begins with a mockup of all the knives to be stored on a piece of paper. Once proper dimensions are taken, the rule of thumb is to select a piece of leather or fabric that’s 400% larger than the paper used.
The next step is making a paper copy of the piece of leather and arranging where the different slots, pouches, handles, and straps will be placed. Finally, all the parts and sections are cut from the cowhide and riveted, sewn, or glued together. Details such as buckles and zippers and usually left for the end.
5. What Do Chefs Keep In Their Knife Rolls?
Vagabond Knife Roll - Full Grain Leather
Knives are an essential part of a professional chef’s arsenal and they deserve to be treated with the utmost respect. That’s why, some of the most forward-thinking chefs in the current culinary scene choose our leather knife rolls to securely store away their Dalstrong products.
Learn more about where Dalstrong Knives are manufactured here!
Some examples include; The Gladiator Series 8" Gemini Twin Blade - Dual-Sided Chef Knife, the Shadow Black Series 10" Butcher & Breaking Knife, and the Quantum 1 Series 7" Santoku Knife, among others.
SHOP DALSTRONG KNIFE ROLLS TODAY
You can also check in with our Expert Knife Finder Quiz and get specific recommendations based on your needs.
Written by Pablo PerezWhen he's not adding way too much butter to his recipes, Pablo likes to write about knives, music, food, cinema, and all of the other things that make life worth living.