- What is Kitchen Shears?
- How To Choose Kitchen Shears
- Best Uses for Kitchen Shears
- Pro Tips on How To Use the Best Kitchen Shears
- How To Clean Kitchen Shears
- How To Store Your Shears
- How to Sharpen Your Shears
- Must-Have Dalstrong Kitchen Shears
- Dalstrong vs. Other Brands and Their Kitchen Shears
- Frequently Asked Questions
Folks, there are several versatile, must-have tools in every kitchen, and kitchen shears, although very underrated, are one of them. Kitchen shears are a must-have tool in any home cook's kitchen. In this blog, we'll take a closer look at kitchen shears, including what they are, their best uses, pro tips on how to use them, and must-have Dalstrong kitchen shears.
1. What Are Kitchen Shears?
Kitchen shears, also known as kitchen scissors, are a type of ULTRA SHARP CUTTING TOOLS designed for a variety of kitchen tasks. They are typically made with stainless steel blades and comfortable grip handles, making them easy to use for extended periods.
Kitchen shears can come in various sizes and shapes and have a range of features, such as serrated blades, spring-loaded poultry shears, and even bottle openers. They are incredibly multipurpose and can be used for different tasks, from snipping herbs and cutting parchment paper to spatchcocking chicken and even opening jars.
Now, let’s talk about the best ways you can use your favorite pair of kitchen shears.
2. How To Choose Kitchen Shears
When choosing kitchen shears, there are several things you have to know to make sure you get the best ones for your needs. Here are a few important factors to keep in mind:
The blade material is an essential factor when choosing kitchen shears. Look for high-quality materials like stainless steel or high-carbon steel, which are durable and rust-resistant.
Kitchen shears come in a range of blade lengths, typically between 3 to 8 inches. Consider what tasks you'll use the shears for most and choose a blade length that suits those tasks.
Comfort and grip
Look for shears with comfortable and ergonomic handles that provide a firm grip, even when your hands are wet. Some shears also come with non-slip handles or soft-touch grips for added comfort and safety.
Consider what tasks you'll be using the shears for most and choose a pair that can handle a range of tasks, from snipping herbs to cutting poultry bones or even using your pair of shears as a bottle opener.
Some kitchen shears come apart for easy cleaning and maintenance, which is a handy feature to have. Look for shears that can be easily disassembled and cleaned.
Kitchen shears can range in price from a few dollars to several hundred dollars. While a high price doesn't always guarantee quality, investing in a good pair of shears can help you save money in the long run by lasting longer and performing better.
3. Best Uses for Kitchen Shears
Kitchen shears are incredibly versatile and can be used for a variety of tasks in the kitchen. Here are a few (of the many) best uses for kitchen shears that make sense for home cooks and seasoned chefs.
- A good pair of shears can be used to cut through tough cuts of meat, such as chicken bones, or spatchcocking a whole chicken.
- Kitchen shears are perfect for snipping fresh herbs like parsley, basil, and thyme.
- These shears are also great for cutting vegetables, such as trimming the ends of green beans or snipping the tops off of cherry tomatoes.
- Your pair of shears are also handy for opening clamshell packages or cutting through plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Kitchen shears can also be used for tasks like cutting pizza, opening bottles, or even snipping off the ends of asparagus.
4. Pro Tips on How to Use the Best Kitchen Shears
Here are some tips on using kitchen shears to their full potential:
- To keep your kitchen shears ULTRA SHARP, use a sharpening stone to sharpen the blade edges.
- When using spring-loaded poultry shears, tightly grip the handles and press firmly on the blade to cut through chicken bones.
- For easy cleaning, look for take-apart kitchen shears that can be easily taken apart for thorough cleaning.
- Look for kitchen shears with comfortable grip handles that are easy to hold and use for extended periods of time.
5. How To Clean Kitchen Shears
Keeping your favorite pair of kitchen shears clean is essential for their longevity. One of the best features of many kitchen shears is that they can be taken apart for easy cleaning. This means that the two blades can be separated from each other to access any areas that might have food or other debris stuck in them. Stainless steel blades are great for this purpose, as they can be easily wiped clean and do not retain any food odors.
- Take apart the kitchen shears as per the manufacturer's instructions. This makes cleaning the blades and the handles much easier.
- Use a soapy solution and a scrub brush to clean the blades thoroughly. Pay special attention to any food debris or sticky substances that may have accumulated on the blades. Rinse the blades with water and dry them with a clean towel.
- Wipe down the handles of the shears with a damp cloth or sponge. If the handles are particularly dirty, use a soapy solution to clean them.
- Dry the shears completely after washing the blades and handles before reassembling them. Wet shears can cause rust and damage the blades.
Detailed steps for cleaning TAKEAPART kitchen shears
When it comes to your kitchen shears, it's important to store hem in a safe and clean place. Many shears come in clamshell packaging, which is a great way to keep them protected when not in use. To thoroughly clean your shears, start by wiping them down with a damp cloth or paper towel to remove any loose debris.
Next, separate the blades and wash them with warm, soapy water. Be sure to rinse them thoroughly and dry them with a clean towel before putting them back together. By taking these simple steps, you can ensure that your kitchen shears stay clean and ready to use whenever you need them.
6. How To Store Your Shears
- Sharpen the Blades. Regularly sharpening the blades of the kitchen shears is important to maintain their effectiveness. You can use either a sharpening stone or a knife sharpener to sharpen the blades.
- Store the Shears Properly. Store the kitchen shears in a dry, clean place, away from moisture and direct sunlight. You can also place a protective cover over the blades to prevent them from getting damaged.
7. How to Sharpen Your Shears
Sharpening your kitchen shears is an essential part of their maintenance. Regular sharpening keeps the blades sharp and effective, making it easier to cut through food items. Here are some steps to help you sharpen your kitchen shears:
- Disassemble the shears. Before you begin sharpening your shears, take them apart as per the manufacturer's instructions. This makes it easier to sharpen the blades.
- Use a sharpening stone. Hold the sharpening stone securely on a flat surface. Hold the blade at an angle of 15-20 degrees against the stone, and make short, smooth strokes along the length of the blade. Repeat this process on the other blade.
- Sharpen the serrated blades. If your kitchen shears have serrated blades, use a serrated knife sharpener. Hold the sharpening tool at an angle that matches the serrations of the blade, and draw it back and forth through the serrations. Repeat this process on the other blade.
- Check for sharpness. Once you have sharpened both blades, check them for sharpness. You can do this by cutting a piece of paper or a thin sheet of cardboard. If the blades cut cleanly and smoothly, they are sharp.
- Reassemble the shears. Once you are satisfied with the sharpness of the blades, reassemble the shears as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Store the shears properly. Store the kitchen shears in a dry, clean place, away from moisture and direct sunlight. You can also place a protective cover over the blades to prevent them from getting damaged.
8. Must-Have Dalstrong Kitchen Shears
At Dalstrong, we go above and beyond just providing high-quality knives. We strive to enhance every kitchen tool in your arsenal. The Dalstrong Forged Scissors are not your ordinary kitchen shears.
Made from 420J2 Japanese stainless steel, these shears offer superior corrosion resistance and strength, giving you the confidence to tackle any ingredient easily. The ergonomic and ambidextrous design offers a comfortable grip, regardless of which hand you use.
These scissors are versatile and can effortlessly slice and trim thinner cuts of meat, leafy vegetables, and herbs. They can also be used in unexpected ways, such as slicing pizza and quesadillas, cutting bacon, cleaning shrimp, prepping kale, and more. Additionally, the built-in nutcracker is a practical feature that allows you to crack open nuts whenever you want a tasty snack.
The sleek stainless steel construction adds so much elegance to your kitchen while also making clean-up a breeze. The detachable blade feature enables intensive cleaning, if necessary, ensuring hygiene and longevity. These shears are stain-resistant and can be used professionally, making them a must-have for any chef.
The Dalstrong logo is engraved on the shears, adding a touch of sophistication to their appearance. They come neatly packed with Dalstrong’s renowned packaging and are backed by our exceptional customer support.
In summary, the Dalstrong Forged Scissors are not just any kitchen shears. They are made from high-quality Japanese stainless steel, ergonomically designed for comfortable use, and offer various practical features. The sleek and durable construction and detachable blades make them easy to clean and maintain. These shears are a versatile addition to any chef’s collection, suitable for home cooks and professional chefs.
Still need some more convincing?
- Forged with 420J2 Japanese stainless steel for higher corrosion resistance and strength.
- Ergonomic and ambidextrous design for a firm grasp on the task at hand, no matter which hand you use.
- Can effortlessly slice and trim thin cuts of meats, a bunch of leafy vegetables, and different kinds of herbs.
- Built-in nutcracker for added practicality.
- Understated and elegant stainless steel construction for easy cleanup, with a detachable blade for intensive cleaning, if necessary.
- It may not be suitable for heavier cutting tasks such as cutting large carcasses or through big bones.
- Some home cooks may find this product expensive, but the quality will be worth the investment in the long run.
9. Dalstrong vs. Other Brands and Their Kitchen Shears
Oxo Good Grips vs. Dalstrong
Oxo Good Grips have designed its kitchen scissors specifically for cutting through herbs, while Dalstrong's kitchen shears are more versatile and can handle a wider range of tasks, including cutting through meat and other tough materials.
In terms of overall quality, Dalstrong's kitchen shears are forged from 420J2 Japanese stainless steel, making them highly resistant to corrosion and wear, and the ambidextrous design ensures a comfortable grip no matter which hand you use. On the other hand, Oxo Good Grips' herb scissors feature multiple blades for efficient and precise herb cutting, but they may not hold up as well when used for heavier-duty tasks.
When compared to other high-end kitchen shears like Shun Classic Kitchen Shears, Dalstrong's kitchen shears are more affordable without compromising on quality. The bottom line is that both brands offer quality products for different purposes, so the choice ultimately narrows down to personal preference and intended use.
Shun Classis vs. Dalstrong
Both Dalstrong and Shun are known for producing high-quality kitchen tools, including kitchen shears and scissors. While Shun Classic kitchen shears are a popular option, Dalstrong's kitchen shears are often considered superior due to their sharp blades, comfortable handles, and ease of cleaning.
Dalstrong's kitchen shears feature a sharp blade made from 420J2 Japanese stainless steel, which provides higher corrosion resistance and strength. This allows for efficient cutting through a variety of ingredients, including meats, vegetables, and herbs. The handles are designed for comfort and provide a secure grip, reducing hand fatigue during use. Additionally, the detachable blades make cleaning thorough and effortless.
While Shun Classic kitchen shears also have sharp blades and comfortable handles, they may not be as easy to clean as Dalstrong's kitchen shears. Shun Classic shears have a fixed blade design, which can make cleaning more challenging.
Overall, while both brands produce high-quality kitchen shears and scissors, Dalstrong's shears are often preferred for their sharpness, comfortable handles, and ease of cleaning.
Jenaluca herb scissors vs. Dalstrong
Jenaluca herb scissors are specifically designed for cutting herbs and feature five sharp stainless steel blades that allow you to chop herbs quickly and easily. They are made of high-quality materials and come with a protective cover for safe storage. Their ergonomic design and comfortable grip ensure ease of use, and they are dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning.
Dalstrong kitchen shears have a sturdy and durable construction made of 420J2 Japanese stainless steel, which makes them resistant to corrosion and enhances their strength. They are designed to provide a comfortable grip for both left- and right-handed users, and their sharp and precise blades can be used to slice through various ingredients, including meat, vegetables, and herbs.
The built-in nutcracker adds to their practicality, and their understated and elegant stainless steel construction makes them easy to clean. The blades of Dalstrong kitchen shears are detachable for more intensive cleaning if necessary.
Overall, while Jenaluca herb scissors may be a good option for cutting herbs, Dalstrong's kitchen shears offer greater versatility, durability, comfort, and ease of cleaning, making them a better choice for a variety of kitchen tasks.
Kai Kitchen Shears vs. Dalstrong
While Kai kitchen scissors are made with precision to carry out a variety of kitchen tasks, Dalstrong’s ultra-sharp pair of shears take the cake for this one. When it comes to their performance as kitchen and herb scissors, Dalstrong's shears are designed with an ultra-sharp blade made of 420J2 Japanese stainless steel, allowing for precise cuts through all types of ingredients.
Their ambidextrous design and comfortable handles make them easy to use, whether you are right or left-handed. Additionally, Dalstrong's kitchen shears are designed to be taken apart for easy and thorough cleaning, while Kai's scissors cannot be disassembled. This makes it difficult to clean Kai's scissors properly, especially when using them for herbs, which can easily stick to the blades.
Overall, Dalstrong's kitchen and herb scissors offer superior performance and easy maintenance compared to Kai's kitchen scissors.
10. Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top-rated kitchen shears?
Overall, Dalstrong kitchen shears are highly rated for their quality, durability, and versatility. They are a great investment for any home cook or professional chef looking for reliable and efficient kitchen shears.
What is the difference between kitchen shears and scissors?
Kitchen shears usually have thicker and shorter blades compared to scissors, which have longer and thinner blades. Kitchen shears are specifically designed to cut food items like meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and herbs. On the other hand, scissors are designed for general-purpose cutting, such as paper, fabric, and other lightweight materials.
How do I choose kitchen shears?
Look for shears that are made from durable materials such as high-quality stainless steel to ensure they last a long time. It's also important to consider the size and weight of the shears, as well as their design and grip. Additionally, consider the versatility of the shears - can they handle a variety of tasks beyond just cutting? Finally, look for shears that are easy to clean and maintain.
Can kitchen shears cut through bone?
Yes, some kitchen shears are designed to cut through bones. However, it's important to make sure that the shears you choose are specifically designed for this purpose. Always refer to the manufacturer's recommendations and instructions before attempting to use your kitchen shears to cut through bones.