Best Knife Block Set
- Gladiator Series 5-Piece Knife Set with Modular Block
- Gladiator Series 18-piece Colossal Knife Set with Block - White Handles
- Crusader Series 18-Piece Knife Block Set - NSF Certified
- Shadow Black Series 5-piece Block Set - NSF Certified
- Phantom Series 'Dragon Spire' 6pc Knife Set
- Shogun Series X 5 piece Block Set
- Gladiator Series 8-Piece Steak Knife Set - Red ABS Handles with Knife Block
What We’ll Cover:
- The Benefits Of A Good Block Set
- Best 18 Piece Knife Block Set
- Best 8 Piece Knife Block Set
- Best 6 Piece Knife Block Set
- Best 5 Piece Knife Block Set
- Frequently Asked Questions About Knife Block Sets
1. The Benefits Of Owning A Knife Block Set
If you’re reading this post, you’re probably wondering whether a knife block set is the right choice for you. You’ve probably seen it in other kitchens, sitting on the kitchen counter, looking pretty cool. And you’re wondering whether it actually helps in any way or if it’s just one of those things that simply looks cool but, when you look into it, doesn’t actually contribute much.
I’m putting it out there: knife blocks are great. Not only do they look good, but they’re extremely useful in mitigating some of the stress factors that can come into play when you’re cooking. See, the way we lay out our kitchen usually boils down to two things: comfort and aesthetics.
This one is a no-brainer: when we’re working in the kitchen, we want to make things as easy and convenient for ourselves as possible. Let’s face it: Cooking can sometimes be a little stressful (especially if you’re juggling multiple dishes at the same time, or if you’re cooking for a surly in-law)
Scrambling to find a long-lost paring knife in your drawer, or not being sure where you left your one good slicer, or spending 10 minutes looking for your utility knife because it’s in the drawer under your kitchen shears or cutting board or other utensils-- these things will inevitably eat up a lot of valuable time. Proper knife storage is important!
Having your knives arranged neatly in a knife block will make them easily accessible, save up on drawer space, and spare you the headache of trying to keep things organized on your own.
This is another big one. Sure, it may seem superficial, but your kitchen is as much a part of your home as any other room; therefore, decorating it is yet another opportunity to express yourself and put a stamp on a room that many see as strictly functional.
As we’ve established, knife blocks look great (especially the ones we’re about to list further down the post). Not only do they look neat and tidy, but they give the impression that you know what you’re doing. If you walk into a friend’s kitchen as they’re working and you find them pulling their knife collection in and out of the block set, you almost instinctively think “this person has it together.”
Nice blocks don’t have to be a simple block of wood -- they can be absolutely gorgeous and ornate, with stylish designs and different types of materials. Getting a really nice knife block set also sends the message that you care how your kitchen looks.
We’re sneaking one more entry in the “pro” column here. One of the great things about purchasing a knife set is that it allows you access to a large variety of knives -- some of them multi-purpose, some of them highly specialized -- at a fraction of what it would cost to buy them individually.
So let’s talk about some of our picks for best knife block sets.
2. Best 18 Piece Knife Block Sets
Style, functionality, and an extremely useful assortment of high-end knives. This gorgeous 18-piece knife block set from Dalstrong’s Gladiator series features stylish white handles, providing the perfect blend of practicality and looks. It comes with a beautiful handmade walnut knife block for storage.
This set includes six straight edge 5” steak knives, one 9” slicer, one 9” bread knife, one 8” chef’s knife, one 8.5” Kiritsuke chef’s knife, one 7” Santoku knife, one 7” Nakiri knife, one 6” boning knife, one 6.5” utility knife, one 6” serrated utility knife, one 3.5” paring knife, one 2.75” bird’s beak paring knife, and one 10” Gladiator series honing steel.
Note that there’s also a version of this set with black handles instead of white, if you prefer that more traditional look. You can check that one out here.
- This eye-catching 18-piece knife block set includes a wide array of knives to cover a multitude of uses.
- The knives have premium Food-Grade polymer ABS handles, which are highly impervious to heat, cold and moisture.
- The stainless steel blade is extremely high quality: precision forged, ultra sharp, wear resistant, high carbon German ThyssenKrupp stainless steel at 56+ Rockwell.
- Each edge is painstakingly hand sharpened to 16-18° per side, resulting in an extremely sharp knife that’s also very durable and resilient.
- A set like this, with a wide assortment of high-quality knives, is certainly an investment. Some home cooks might be looking for a smaller collection with a more modest price tag.
- Its large variety of knives cover a number of highly specific uses, which might extend beyond some home chefs’ immediate needs.
Here’s an absolutely stunning collection of NSF certified knives, featuring a wide assortment from Dalstrong’s Crusader Series. The Crusader Series is a collection of beautifully designed, stainless steel knives, aiming for a more minimalist aesthetic for those who prefer to keep things looking simple and clean. This makes it so that your knives will pair well with any decor.
This incredible collection includes six 5” steak knives in addition to one 8” chef’s knife, one 7” Santoku knife, one 8.5” Kiristuke knife, one 8” serrated bread knife, one 9” carving knife, one 7” nakiri vegetable knife, one 6.5” boning knife, one 6” fillet knife, one 5.5” serrated utility knife, one 3.5” paring knife, one 3” bird’s beak paring knife, and one 9” honing steel.
All of these knives feature the Crusader Series trademark less-is-more, minimalistic aesthetic, for those of you who prefer a cleaner look to your kitchen knives.
- Incredible selection of high-quality, NSF certified stainless steel knives.
- Beautifully simple and uncluttered visual design.
- The hollow handle is unique and hygienic
- Comes with a beautiful acacia wood knife block to proudly show off these fantastic knives.
- The sheer amount of high-quality knives included make this a great value for the money.
- Even though this 18-piece set is a great value for the money, it is still a considerable investment. Home cooks should evaluate whether they need this amount of knives.
- Some people might be more inclined towards knives that look a little more showy, and the Crusader aesthetic with a hollow handle might be a little too clean for them.
3. Best 8 Piece Knife Block Set
We just love steak knives. Here’s a wonderful and stylish 8-piece set with a storage block, from the acclaimed Gladiator Series. This set of steak knives will dazzle your dinner guests with their stylish look and vibrant red handles. The knives are well-balanced, cut like butter, and are a wonderful show-off piece to proudly display in your kitchen.
- The knife blade is made of incredibly sharp, full-tang, imported Thyssenkrupp high-carbon German stainless steel.
- You’ll get clean, straight cuts with these blades, which were hand sharpened to 14-16 degrees per side, expertly heat treated and honed to perfection.
- Smart design and engineering make this a collection to proudly flaunt, which is facilitated by the gorgeous knife block.
- This makes for a fantastic gift for steak lovers and home cooks.
- It’s important to remember that this is exclusively a set of 8 steak knives, so it’s not the best set to go with if you are looking for variety.
- While I personally love its bright red finish, some folks might prefer something more understated. If that’s you, you’ll be happy to learn that this knife block set also comes in an elegant white-handle edition.
Here’s another knife block set from the Crusader Series, a collection of stunningly designed stainless steel knives with a clean, minimalistic aesthetic. And this set certainly is stylish, especially since it comes with a gorgeous Manchurian ash-wood storage block.
The set includes an 8” chef’s knife, one 7” Santoku knife, one 8” serrated bread knife, one 6” utility knife, one 5.5” serrated utility knife, one 4.5” paring knife, and one 8” honing steel.
Learn more about where Dalstrong Knives are manufactured here!
- Features the Gladiator Series trademark understated, elegant and unobtrusive “less-is-more” aesthetic.
- Powerful blades: German made ThyssenKrupp x50crmov15 blade steel at 58+ Rockwell, for incredible performance.
- Features a great variety of knives-- including bread knife, chef’s knife, utility knife -- for a wide amount of uses.
- High-chromium stainless steel handle.
- This is one of my favorite storage blocks in the entire list. The “slanted” design makes it one of the coolest-looking knife sets you’ll find.
- If you’re looking for the absolute be-all end-all as far as kitchen knife variety goes, you’d be better served by an 18-piece set (look into the Crusader Series 18-Piece Knife Block Set - NSF Certified).
- Due to their handle design, some of these knives are a little on the lighter side.
If you love the Gladiator Series knives but don’t want to purchase the larger Gladiator Series 18-piece Colossal Knife Set with Block - White Handles featured above -- and you want more than just steak knives, as featured on the Gladiator Series 8-Piece Steak Knife Set - Red ABS Handles with Knife Block, this is a fantastic option for you.
This awesome block set comes with a fantastic assortment of kitchen knives to tackle just about any culinary challenge you could possibly come across. It includes: a 9” slicing/carving knife, a 9” bread knife, an 8” chef’s knife, a 7” Santoku knife, a 6” utility knife, a 5.5” serrated knife, a 3.75” paring knife, and a honing rod. It comes in a gorgeous acacia wood storage block
- These are some of the best blades money can buy: Precision forged, ultra sharp, wear resistant, single-piece, high carbon German ThyssenKrupp Steel at 56+ Rockwell.
- The blades feature a beautiful hand polished satin finish, and a tapered design for extra hardness and flexibility.
- ABS Polymer handle for life-long durability and comfortable daily use.
- They feature a stainless steel second bolster (end cap) for counter balance.
- These are some thick, powerful knives, so they tend to be on the heavy side.
- If you’re looking for a larger set that includes steak knives, look into the Gladiator Series 18-piece Colossal Knife Set with Block - White Handles.
4. Best 6 Piece Knife Block Set
As we’ve established, part of the allure of these knife block sets is the decorative element. And when it comes to showing off your knives, you can’t do much better than this incredible 6-piece set which comes with the Dragon Spire double-sided magnetic walnut wood block. Not only is the storage block itself beautiful, but this is one attractive collection of knives.
The knives in Dalstrong’s Phantom Series are elegant, agile, ruthlessly sharp culinary showpieces, made of beautifully engraved Japanese AUS-8 high carbon steel. They’re sharp, they’re powerful, they’re durable, and they look marvelous. These knives are the perfect blend of looks and performance, and this storage block is the perfect way to show them off.
This set includes a 9” bread knife, a 9.5” Kiritsuke chef knife, a 8” chef knife, a 7” Santoku knife, a 5” utility knife, and a 4” paring knife.
Bonus tip : If you are interested in learning everything there is to know about sharpening your knives - check out this this handy guide. Whether you want to use a whetstone or sharpening steel, whether you have a Japanese knife or Western, we've got you covered!
- Powerful Japanese blades made of AUS-8 Japanese high carbon steel, ice tempered for added resilience and edge retention.
- Full tang blade for robust performance.
- Premium quality laminated Spanish pakkawood handles, featuring a traditional Japanese D-shaped handle design.
- Luxurious storage block: with its magnetic strip, the Dragon Spire double-sided magnetic knife holder is the cherry on top of this incredible set.
- As a 6-piece set, this does not feature as much variety as some of the other block sets on this list.
- If you love the storage block but don’t want to commit to purchasing these knives, you can buy the Dragon Spire Double-Sided Magnetic Walnut Wood Block on its own.
5. Best 5 Piece Knife Block Set
Do you ever find yourself thinking “I want a knife block set that features a selection of high-quality essential kitchen tools, and that also has a premium look and feel, and that I can also easily convert from an upright position to a flat position for easy storage?” Hey, me too. And luckily for us, this incredible set is just the right choice for us.
Featuring a collection of high-performance kitchen essentials, and a gorgeous oak wood storage block with an innovative modular design (you can easily flip it from upright to flat if you’re alternating between showing it off and storing it), this battle-ready arsenal of powerful kitchen knives is an absolute dream.
The set includes a 9” slicing/carving knife, a 9” bread knife, an 8” chef’s knife, a 6” utility knife, and a 3.75” paring knife. All with the gorgeous Dalstrong oak wood storage block for proud display.
- The blades are each precision forged from a single piece of imported premium quality, high-carbon ThyssenKrupp German steel.
- Premium quality ABS polymer handles.
- Hand sharpened to a staggering 16 degrees per side, ensuring ultra-thin slicing and dicing with minimal effort.
- The Dalstrong oak wood block looks fantastic, and with its modular design you can move it from an upright position to a space-saving flat position for easy storage. Save that counter space! Not only that, but each block has its own unique grain pattern; no two storage blocks are exactly alike.
- If you don’t see yourself needing a modular wood block that flips from upright to flat, check out some of the other selections on this list.
- As a 5-piece set, this comes with knives that are considered kitchen essentials; if you want a broader selection, look into the Gladiator Series 8-Piece Knife Block Set or the Gladiator Series 18-piece Colossal Knife Set with Block - White Handles.
If you want a knife block set that looks like it was pulled straight out of some futuristic sci-fi film (and also features ruthlessly sharp blades and fantastic performance and comfort), this 5-piece block set from Dalstrong’s acclaimed Shadow Black Series is the one for you. Seriously, if you want to talk about a showoff piece, this is an incredible-looking set.
- The knives feature an all-black, non-reflective titanium-nitride coating that looks, quite literally, out of this world.
- It’s not all looks, though. These knives are top performers, featuring a blade made of high-carbon steel at 58+ rockwell with an expert heat treatment,
- Fiber-resin military grade G10 handle is nearly impervious to heat, cold and moisture.
- Ergonomically designed to snug perfectly into your palm. These knives feel great to use.
- There’s no accounting for taste; some folks may not be fans of the Shadow Black Series’s distinctive all-black look. Thankfully, we have plenty of other options for you on this list.
Talk about eye-catching! This dazzling five-piece kitchen knife set isn’t just a showstopper when it comes to looks, it also comes with five of the best knives you can own. Knives in Dalstrong’s Shogun series are painstakingly crafted over a period of 60 days, using the highest quality materials. Their gorgeous stamped blades will have everyone asking about them.
If you’re looking for a five-piece set that looks incredible and provides you with a good amount of variety, this is the set for you.
This set includes an 8” serrated bread knife, one 8” chef’s knife, one 7” Santoku knife, one 6” utility knife, and one 3.5” paring knife. It comes in a handcrafted Acaica wood block with stainless steel finishes.
- The blades are as good as they get: precision forged from a single piece of ultra premium Japanese high-carbon AUS-10V steel with 67-alternating layers of SUS410 damascus steel.
- Gorgeous looks: the Tsunami Rose pattern makes these knives as much an art piece as they are a feat of knife craftsmanship. Looks gorgeous.
- Military grade G10 ergonomic handle, highly impervious to heat, cold and moisture.
- The handcrafted Acaica wood block looks and feels great.
- While the Tsunami Rose pattern is usually a selling point, some folks might prefer a cleaner and simpler look for their blades. If that’s the case for you, check out the Crusader Series 8-Piece Block Set - NSF Certified .
- This is a premium set made of extremely high-quality materials, so the price might be a little steep for a five-piece.
6. Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to clean my knife blocks?
Knife blocks need to be cleaned just as much as any other element in your kitchen. If you’re storing slightly wet knives in the knife slots (which you shouldn’t be -- always dry off your knives before storing), it can lead to bacterial growth. Once a month, shake your wooden knife block for debris and clean the insides with a bottle brush and bleach solution, making sure it dries completely before you use it again.
Are knife blocks bad for knives?
Remember that these knives are, above all, premium instruments that need to be taken care of; if you are careful when storing them, you should have no problems at all. There’s no doubt that improper usage of a storing block can damage your knife in the long run. Putting the knife in the block, and removing it from the block, can cause friction and contribute to making the blade blunt, if done inattentively.
And if you want tips on how to sharpen your knife, we wrote a thorough guide for you.
Can I buy a storage block on its own?
Absolutely. However, different sizes for different blades make it hard to find a storage block that will easily accommodate any blade, especially since the goal is to keep them well stored without much chance of movement. For this reason, the best bet would be to purchase a magnetic knife holder, such as the Dragon Spire Double-Sided Magnetic Walnut Wood Block.
120 Day Full Money Back Guarantee with ALL Dalstrong Knives.
More Great Product Recommendations
- Best Sushi Knives
- Best Kitchen Knives
- Best Fillet Knives
- Best Chef's Knives
- Best Paring Knives
- Best Kitchen Knife Sets
- Best Carving Knife
- Best Bread Knives
- Best Japanese Knives
- Best Steak Knives
- Best Boning Knife
- Best Utility Knife
- Best Magnetic Knife Holder
- Best Brisket Slicing Knife
- Best Cleavers
- Best Knife Roll
- Best Nakiri Knives
- Best Honing Steel
- Knife Recommendations For Female Chefs
- Best Aprons
- Unique Knives
- Best Butcher Knives
- Why You Need A Butcher Knife In Your Kitchen
- Best Whetstones
- What Makes A Good Fillet Knife?
- Best Santoku Knives
- Everything You Need To Know About The Paring Knife
- Different Types of Utility Knives
- The Difference Between A Santoku Knife & Chef Knife
- Best Knife Sharpeners
- Why is there a hole in a meat cleaver?
- 5 Knives Every BBQ Chef Should Own
- The Difference Between A Fillet Knife & Boning Knife
- Best Cutting Boards
- Dalstrong vs Wusthof
- How To Choose A Cutting Board
- How To Choose A Kitchen Apron
- How To Cut A Dragon Fruit
- Best Meat Shredding Claws
- What is a Gyuto Knife?
- 7 Ruthlessly Sharp Knives For Butchers
- Best Charcuterie & Cheese Knife Set
- Best Kiritsuke Knives
You can also check in with our Expert Knife Finder Quiz and get specific recommendations based on your needs.
Interested in Cookware Content?
- Best Cookware Sets
- Best Nonstick Pans
- Best Stainless Steel Cookware
- Best Pots and Pans To Buy
- How to organize Pots and Pans
- How To Clean Stainless Steel Pans
- How To Season Stainless Steel Pans
- How To Season A Cast Iron Pan
- What Is A Saucepan?
Written by Jorge Farah
Born on the coast of Colombia and based in Buenos Aires, Jorge is a cooking enthusiast and kitchenware obsessive with a tremendous amount of opinions.