QUICK OVERVIEW: How To Make Pancakes From Scratch
- Gather your ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla, eggs, and your preferred toppings.
- In a medium bowl or in a blender, mix together the baking powder, flour, eggs, sugar, milk, and vanilla until just combined.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to the skillet and spin to coat.
- Run 1/4 cup of the batter onto the preheated pan. Cook until tiny bubbles start to pop and the edges start to brown a little about 1 minute.
- Turn over the pancake and cook for about another minute, until the underside is golden brown.
- Transfer to a platter and redo with the remaining batter, adding a small teaspoon of oil between each pancake.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
Nothing beats a hot stack of fluffy pancakes. Whether served for breakfast, brunch, or dinner, pancakes are a crowd-pleaser. Nowadays, frozen pancakes, boxed mixes, and ready-made pancake kits are gaining in popularity because they offer convenience and speed; however, pancakes made from scratch are infinitely more delightful than any store-bought variety.
Pancakes are a breakfast staple that’s enjoyed around the world, in both savory and sweet varieties and they’re also my favorite breakfast so, I’m definitely biased. They’re also surprisingly simple to make. Pancakes made from scratch require only a handful of simple ingredients that you can put together in minutes.
With this super easy and straightforward guide, you can make pancakes with a few steps and little to no effort. We’ll walk through some simple pancake recipes, the best technique to reheat pre-made pancakes, some pro tips to make pancakes like a chef, great topping recommendations, and some Dalstrong utensils that can help you along the way. In no time, you can be enjoying a warm stack of homemade pancakes.
- Step-By-Step Instructions On How To Make Pancakes From Scratch
- How To Reheat Pancakes
- Pro Tips On Making The Best Fluffy Pancakes
- Best Pancake Toppings
- Dalstrong Tools You’ll Need
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Step-By-Step Instructions On How To Make Pancakes From Scratch
Making pancakes from scratch is not a complex or time-consuming process, in fact, it can be easy and rewarding with the right instructions and pancake recipes.
By following these steps, you can whip up a batch of delicious and fluffy pancakes in no time. Whether you’re looking for an indulgent brunch or a quick breakfast, pancakes from scratch are always a hit.
First, it’s important to gather your ingredients — typically all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, an egg, and milk.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter
Once all of the ingredients have been gathered, carefully mix all the dry ingredients, combine de wet ones, let the batter rest while you prepare the pan and start pouring some mix into de pan to cook your pancake batch.
- After you’ve gathered all your ingredients and preferred toppings,
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a small bowl, whip together the baking powder, flour, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- Whip together the milk and eggs: In a separate bowl, crack the eggs and whisk them together with the milk and a splash of vanilla extract.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients: Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients bowl, whisking constantly to ensure the wet and dry ingredients combine and any lumps are worked out. You can also add the mix to the blender if you want to make sure all lumps have been diluted.
- Add the oil or melted butter depending on which one you like the most. Once fused, pour the melted butter and whip until the butter is mixed in. Do not overmix.
- Let the batter to rest for 15 minutes. Let the baking powder to operate and helps make sure the pancakes are thick and fluffy.
- Prepare the pan: Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. If you’d like, spray the surface with a light cooking oil.
- Scoop the mixture: Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop out some batter and pour it into the center of the skillet. It will spread thin for a large pancake and thicker for a small one.
- Flip the pancakes: Cook the pancake until small bubbles form on the top and the underside is golden brown. Cautiously flip the pancake with a spatula and cook the other side for a couple of minutes.
- Maintain the cooked pancakes hot on a baking sheet in a 200-degree oven, while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings: Once both sides are cooked, remove the pancake from the pan and repeat the process with the remaining pancakes. Serve the pancakes with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pro tip: instead of spreading cooking oil on the pan, you could also use some melted butter it gives basic pancakes a better texture and a deeper, richer flavor. Additionally, it adds an extra dose of fat, which helps to hold heat better and keep the pancakes warm as they get cooked.
To get the best results, preheat a skillet over medium-high heat before adding butter to the pan. Twist the butter around to equally coat the skillet. Then, ladle a quarter cup portion of the batter into the skillet.
Always wait until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake before flipping to the other side. Keep a close eye on the pancake to not overcook it. And when your batch of pancakes is done, serve it with whatever accompaniments you prefer chocolate spread, jam, fruits, butter, cheese, or even honey. Salty or sweet, pancakes are always delicious
2. How To Reheat Pancakes
Even though eating freshly made pancakes is the best way to enjoy them, sometimes we just don’t have the time to prepare a fresh pancake batch in the morning, or we cook some pancakes to take to school or work or we may even have some leftovers that we could also enjoy the next day with the family.
In these cases, reheating pancakes without compromising their texture or flavor is totally possible. Therefore, here are four different ways to reheat pancakes:
Reheating pancakes in a toaster
Place the pancakes on a piece of foil and set the toaster to a low setting. Heat the pancakes for 2 minutes, or until they are warm and extra crispy.
Reheating pancakes in an oven
Place the pancakes on an oven-safe dish or baking sheet, or a pan lined with parchment paper or foil, and bake them at 350°F for about 5 minutes or until they are warm. This will make the pancakes crispy on the outside while hot and fluffy on the inside.
Reheating pancakes in a skillet or griddle
Heat a lightly oiled frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Place the pancakes on the skillet and heat for about 2 minutes, or until they are warm and slightly crispy.
Reheating pancakes in a microwave
Place the pancakes on a plate, cover them with a slightly wet towel and heat on high for 45 seconds, or until they are warm.
3. Pro Tips On Making The Best Fluffy Pancakes
Finding good cooking tips is a matter of experience, however, here are some pro tips that will make you cook delicious fluffy pancakes like the best breakfast chef in the house:
- Even when you’ll be using cooking spray or a little bit of butter to cook your pancakes, use a non-stick pan. This will make it easier to flip the pancakes and ensure even cooking.
- Depending on how big your skillet is, use just enough batter to cover the center of the pan. Too much batter will make doughy, heavy pancakes and you won't be able to spread it thinly or even flip it properly.
- If you're using a long griddle, don't crowd it: cook only one or two pancakes at a time to maintain an even heat and avoid overcrowding.
- Avoid overmixing the batter. This will create a tough texture for the pancakes to get cooked.
- Don’t be tempted to flip the pancakes before they are ready. The bubbles and golden brown edges will help you identify when it is the right time to flip them.
- Adding non-stick spray or buttering the surface of the pan before adding more batter will help you cook each pancake perfectly and it will enrich the flavor.
4. Best Pancake Toppings
The best pancake toppings depend on personal preference. However, some of the most popular toppings include:
Sweet pancake toppings
Sweet options are usually the most common: honey, fresh fruits like diced bananas, fresh blueberries, and strawberries, different kinds of syrup, chocolate chips, cinnamon sugar (covering the pancake as you do when making a French toast), whipped cream, flour sugar, chocolate spread, jam, caramel sauce, sprinkles and even ice cream.
Savory pancake toppings
These include butter, nut kinds of butter, cooked and diced bacon, grilled vegetables, cream cheese, ham and cheese, mushrooms, spinach and feta, and even smoked salmon! The savory possibilities are definitely endless.
With these topping options, you can create your own amazing combinations, like maple-blueberry pancakes with butter and cream cheese, peanut butter-banana pancakes with honey or Nutella-strawberry-cream pancakes.
5. Dalstrong Tools You’ll Need
When it comes to making homemade delicious pancakes, having the right tools is definitely a plus. Here are some Dalstrong products that will help you make perfect fluffy pancakes every time:
Crafted to work as smoothly as it looks, with an adjustable neck strap, easy-tie waist, 3 front pockets and one stash pocket, “The Gandalf” grey denim apron is built to last, feel good and work alongside you in the kitchen all day.
- Made of 100% poly-cotton denim and genuine leather on engraving and fixings.
- It's a durable and easy-to-clean piece that’s functional and distinctive.
- Super easy to access pockets.
- You might need to buy a leather apron to feel safer if you’re cooking meat or high-temperature meals.
- It might be lighter than most cooks would expect.
Looking for a different material? We have a variety of aprons just for you.
This flexible spatula is crafted for superior hand control, grip, dexterity, and comfort. Ideal for navigating crowded pans and sliding under delicate foods securely without damaging them.
- Ergonomic handle shaped for maximum comfort, grip and maneuverability.
- Cleans easily for low maintenance.
- Great for removing delicate fillets of fish, flipping pancakes, grilling burgers, thick steaks and more.
- After some years, you might need to buy a new one.
- Some cooks might prefer a solid spatula for everyday use.
Designed to help you create magic in the kitchen. This high-performing, medium-weight and ultra-functional cookware is built to last a lifetime.
- Flawless conductivity to rapidly heat up and evenly cook a full range of culinary delights.
- Broiler and oven safe up to 600 degrees F, and also freezer, dishwasher and refrigerator safe.
- The 4mm tempered glass lid provides a clear window during the entire cooking process.
- To prevent accidents, some may prefer a wood or plastic handle.
- You may also prefer a classic 16" frying pan to cook more pancakes in less time.
Have you ever pawed through the cutlery drawer in looking for a spoon you love more than all the others? This 20-piece flatware will do that for you, each tool just feels better in your hand. From knives to cookware, to ingredients, investing in this cutlery set means investing in every element of a special dining experience. The perfect set to eat your pancake stacks with.
- Extremely durable and both stain and rust-resistant.
- High-polished flatware that will keep shining for decades.
- Dalstrong Trust Lifetime Guarantee included.
- A flatware set is not entirely necessary for making pancakes.
- Some might prefer a more innovative design.
Maximally versatile, with an eye-catching design that communicates both luxury and performance. This incomparable pan will help you with any kitchen duty.
- Exceptional responsiveness to precise changes in temperature when increasing or decreasing heat.
- Easily transition from cooking on the stovetop to finishing in the oven.
- Some might prefer a griddle instead of a frying pan.
- Some cooks may want to use heat-resistant gloves to feel safer.
6. Frequently Asked Questions
What are the ingredients for pancakes made from scratch?
As we once mentioned, untimely in this article, the ingredients for making delicious pancakes from scratch are 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 large eggs, vanilla, 1 ½ cups of milk, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter.
How do you make pancakes step by step?
Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg and whisk the milk and vanilla with it. Mix the dry and wet ingredients to make a batter. Heat a skillet over medium heat and scoop the batter, spreading it into a circle. Cook until bubbles form then flip to the other side. Cook for additional 2 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot with your preferred toppings.
Is pancake mix just flour?
No, a pancake mix is not just flour. Flour is an important ingredient in basic pancakes, but it is just one of many. A pancake mix is a pre-mixed combination of several different ingredients, typically flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt, and oil.
How to make pancake 5 steps?The first step is to gather your ingredients. Next is to mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk. The third step is to stir in wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a batter. The fourth step is to add batter to a hot pan, preferably a non-stick skillet. And lastly, cook the batter for 2 minutes until bubbles form before flipping to the other side. Serve and enjoy your tasty pancakes!