The Culinary Commander Top-Grain Leather | Professional Chef's Kitchen Apron | Dalstrong
Quick Steps Overview: Keto Cajun Shrimp Recipe
- Set up the cooking station
- Heat a skillet
- Add butter
- Add garlic and shrimp
- Add cajun spices
- Cook the shrimp
- Add butter and heavy cream
- Serve with favorite sides
- Tools You Will Need
- Recipe: Keto Cajun Shrimp
- Nutritional Value
- Alternate Recipe: Easy Keto Tuscan Garlic Shrimp
- Tips For Cooking Shrimp To Perfection
- Best Seasonings for Keto Shrimp
- Serving Suggestions
- Frequently Asked Questions about Keto Shrimp Recipes
There are many reasons why I enjoy shrimp in my keto meal. Besides the fact that shrimp is super easy and quick to cook, it is also very versatile. Be it a salad, starter, or a main dish, shrimp goes well with any seasoning or sauce you cook it in. In today’s article, I’m going to take you through some of my favorite low carb shrimp recipes and give you a few tips and tricks that will help you do the job like a pro!
The first recipe that I share with you takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish. With this, you will transform ingredients you most likely already have in your refrigerator into an incredible dinner and serve it with low-carb sides for an amazing meal. So, let’s get into it!
10" Frying Pan & SkilletETERNA Non-Stick | Oberon Series | Dalstrong
1. Tools You Will Need
While this dish is very easy to make, here are a few tools that could make your Keto shrimp cooking experience more pleasant.
Be it deveining shrimp or chopping garlic, a razor-sharp knife is very important to do the task quickly and with little effort.
Chef’s Knife 6”- Gladiator Series | Dalstrong
This small and maneuverable blade is an essential tool to have in your kitchen arsenal. From the heat of professional restaurant kitchens to a simple meal of one, this chef’s knife works tirelessly by your side.
- The perfectly weighted knife can handle working with both, thicker, heavy-duty cuts of meat and more delicate detail work.
- The razor-sharp edge of this knife is painstakingly hand sharpened to 16-18 degrees per side, maintaining the perfect balance between the blade’s sharpness and resilience.
- The blade of this knife is perfect for chopping, mincing, dicing, slicing, cutting, and scooping food from the cutting board to the pan or pot.
- If you work with large chunks of meat on a daily basis, you might want to go for a bigger blade that can help you slice in one quick motion.
- These professional blades are very sharp and might need a little practice to use, especially if you’ve never worked with one before.
Bird’s Beak Paring Knife 2.75”- Shadow Black Series | Dalstrong
If you find a chef’s knife too big for delicate tasks like deveining shrimp, you can also go for a shorter blade like this one. This knife features an exceptional grip, screamingly sharp cutting edge, and is engineered for optimal maneuverability.
- The black, non-reflective titanium-nitride coating adds corrosion resistance, and toughens the blade, enhancing its non-stick properties.
- The knife cleans easily and is low maintenance.
- The ergonomic handle of the knife is designed for maximum comfort and grip when performing delicate cooking tasks.
- The short and narrow blade of this knife does not allow you to scoop the food from the cutting board to the pan.
- The all-black look of this blade might be too bold for someone with a minimalistic sense of style.
Shield yourself from unwanted kitchen messes with a sturdy and functional apron that not only protects you but also acts as an excellent place to store your cooking tools.
Professional Chef’s Kitchen Apron- American Legend | Dalstrong
This lightweight apron is designed to function smoothly. This Dalstrong apron is built to last, feel good, and work alongside you in the kitchen, all day, every day!
- The apron comes with an adjustable neck strap, easy-tie waist, genuine leather neck accents, 3 front pockets, and one stash pocket.
- This low-maintenance apron comes with a water repellent coating and is a stylish addition to your kitchen space.
- The apron is made of 100% cotton blue denim that is built to last a lifetime, making this a great investment.
- If you work in a professional kitchen, you might need something sturdier, with more storage space. In that case, you can take a look at this apron.
- If you have a slightly bold sense of style, this apron might be too basic for you. In that case, you can take a look at the other aprons available.
A sturdy cutting board is a must when you have any kind of chopping, cutting, slicing, dicing, or mincing task to do. A good quality cutting board will also help protect the blade of the knife you are using.
Teak Cutting Board- Medium Size | Dalstrong
This cutting board is perfectly sized to assist with everyday chopping and cutting tasks. Crafted of 100% sustainably sourced Tropical Teak Wood, this cutting board is designed to get more beautiful with age.
- This board is ideally sized for your average day-to-day chopping tasks. The board is also hard enough to offer precision for clean and smooth cuts of meat and vegetables.
- It also comes with lasered measurement lines on the bottom of the board, making it easy to get accurate cuts of meat and veggies.
- This statement board also doubles up as a serving tray.
- If you have large quantities to prep, you might want to go from a larger cutting board.
- If you want a board for charcuterie or other serving purposes, you can also go for one with 2 handles, to make it easier to lift and place the board.
It is always a good idea to invest in a stainless steel saute pan that is versatile and excellent for healthy cooking.
12” Saute Frying Pan- Oberon Series | Dalstrong
This is a stunning 3-ply aluminum core cladded piece of cookware that is designed to help you create magic in the kitchen. This high-performing, medium-weight, and ultra-functional piece of cookware will make cooking food a very pleasant and hassle-free experience.
- This pan comes with a non-stick Eterna coating that is tested to last 10 times longer than other premium non-stick brands.
- The pan is oven and broiler safe up to 500 degrees F. It is also freezer, dishwasher, and refrigerator safe.
- The cookware boasts impeccable conductivity to quickly heat up and evenly cook a full range of culinary delights, from thick proteins to delicate omelets.
- If you have a compact kitchen, this pan might get tricky to store.
- The all-steel handles of the pan tend to get very hot when being used.
- This pan has a pretty simple look and design. If you want something bolder, you can take a look at the other saute pans available.
2. Keto Cajun Shrimp Recipe
This easy creamy dish is going to blow your mind. Follow the simple steps mentioned below to cook this easy keto shrimp recipe.
Prep Time: 5 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
Total: 20 Mins
- 1 pound peeled Shrimp (deveined)
- ½ tablespoon Garlic (minced)
- ½ tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Red Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Butter (divided)
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- Gather all the tools and ingredients mentioned above and set up the cooking station.
- To cook the shrimp, heat a large skillet to medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan once it's hot. Swirl the butter around to melt it.
- Once the butter has melted, add garlic and the raw, shelled shrimp to the skillet.
- Sprinkle the cajun spices listed above over the shrimps. Stir well so they are all evenly coated.
- Let the shrimp cook for 3-4 minutes until it is pink and tender.
- Once tender, add the butter and heavy cream to the skillet. Stir everything well to form a creamy garlic sauce. Let this cook for a few minutes.
- When done, plate the shrimp and serve with your favorite high or low carb sides like cauliflower rice, air fryer broccoli, or anything else you like.
3. Nutritional Value
This creamy garlic shrimp recipe has close to zero net carbs. For one portion of this keto cajun shrimp recipe, there is about 1 net carb per serving. This is the kind of dish you can pair with a high-carb side and not feel guilty.
Keto Cajun Shrimp
4. Alternate Recipe: Easy Keto Tuscan Garlic Shrimp
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total: 25 mins
- 1 LB Peeled Shrimp (deveined, thawed)
- 3 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons Garlic (minced)
- ½ small-medium White Onion (finely chopped)
- 1¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1½ cups Grape Tomatoes (halved)
- 5½ cups Fresh Spinach
- ¼ cup Fresh Basil Leaves (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup Coconut Milk (canned, full-fat)
- ¼ cup Chicken Stock (unsalted)
- ⅛ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Fresh Basil or Parsley (chopped)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Wait for the oil to get hot and glistening.
- Add shrimp to the pan and cook until cooked through, flipping once, about 1 minute on each side.
- Using tongs, transfer cooked shrimp to a plate and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add chopped onion and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Stir it constantly.
- Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits from the pan. Then, add smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, black salt, and pepper.
- Stir tomatoes into the spices. Add spinach and chopped basil, then pour coconut milk and chicken stock. Cook until the spinach has fully wilted, about 3-4 minutes, gently stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked shrimp back to the pan to reheat. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and fresh basil or parsley, and serve.
5. Tips For Cooking Shrimp To Perfection
- You can choose to use frozen shrimp or fresh shrimp when cooking these keto recipes.
- To saute shrimp, you can choose to use olive oil, avocado oil, butter, or coconut oil in your dish. However, the taste of each of them may vary slightly.
- Looking to try some low carb shrimp recipes? Lemon garlic shrimp, bacon wrapped shrimp, and shrimp curry are some great options
- Add cherry tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes. If you aren’t a big tomato fan, you can also switch them out for diced red bell pepper.
- Add some greens like spinach or kale to your keto shrimp meal to make it healthier.
- Instead of coconut milk, you can also use heavy cream at a 1:1 ratio. However, adding heavy cream would mean that your dish is no longer dairy-free.
- Chicken broth, vegetable stock, or vegetable broth can be added to your shrimp meal. Just be sure to check if the kind you use is reduced-sodium. If it doesn’t reduce the added salt in your dish.
6. Best Seasonings for Keto Shrimp
Shrimp pairs well with a bunch of herbs and spices. Here are some of my favorites:
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Curry powder
- Lemon zest or peel
7. Serving Suggestions
- You can serve the shrimp dish with or atop steamed cauliflower rice, cauliflower mash, or air fryer veggies like asparagus and broccoli.
- Zucchini noodles also make a great low carb alternative to pasta. You can also get a little innovative and serve some crispy keto zucchini fries with it.
- You can also serve it with microwavable steamed veggies.
- To keep the healthy quotient up, you can also serve shrimp with a colorful and fresh salad, topped with a nice dressing and some parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Shrimp salad can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Shrimp lettuce wraps also make a fun side dish. You can stuff the wraps with veggies of your choice or even some sauces and seasonings.
- The shrimp scampi recipe is also a great low carb and gluten-free option.
- Keto zucchini shrimp fra diavolo is a dish you can cook up when you want a fast weekend dinner to keep you satisfied.
- Shrimp tacos also make a healthy party snack.
- Throw in your favorite veggies, some oil, and seasonings like cilantro, lime, oregano, thyme, and shrimp to cook a quick and simple shrimp stir fry.
- Some pan-fried shrimp on a bed of fried rice also makes a great meal.
8. Frequently Asked Questions about Keto Shrimp Recipes
Is shrimp OK for keto?
Fish and shellfish like shrimp are very keto-friendly. Salmon and other fish are not only nearly carb-free but also rich in vitamin B, potassium, and selenium. However, the carb count in shellfish varies by type. While shrimp and most crabs contain no carbs, oysters and octopus do.
How many carbs are in shrimp Keto?
Shrimp has 0 grams of net carbs, but it is packed with proteins- 100 grams of raw shrimp offers 20 grams of protein per serving. It’s also a decent source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Shrimp is a great addition to your Keto meal as they are simple and quick to cook with some simple pantry staples.
How many net carbs are in shrimp?
In a 3-ounce serving of plain cooked shrimp, you’ll find 0.2 grams of total carbs and net carbs.